Saturday, May 7, 2022

Redefining an Icon

Two years ago Topps tried to create an art project by getting 20 influencers to give their take on twenty of the most iconic cards Topps has produced over the years. The project was known as Project 2020 and it was very successful despite some people having absolutely zero interest in the project.  

Part of the problem with that project was one of the most iconic cards (1952 Topps Mickey Mantle) Topps didn't have a license to use Mickey Mantle's likeness.  Another part of the failing of the project is not all iconic baseball cards are Topps brands. When we think of iconic baseball cards there are a few others that likely come to mind like the Bo Jackson Score, Ken Griffey Jr 89 UD, and the 88 Fleer FF Billy Ripken.

Thanks to the greatest custom card creator in the western hemisphere, I have a unique opportunity to showcase the 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr with a special Collecting Cutch take on the card.  Tanner Jones, the former Jose Canseco supercollector, and known as mouschi on many sports card forums created the below masterpiece.

I had a duplicate Andrew McCutchen patch card that I had won as part of a lot of patch cards that I needed 3 of the 4 cards.  Not having a need for the duplicate card and knowing I wouldn't get much value if I sold just that card by itself I reached out to Tanner to slaughter the Topps Tribute card and create the above masterpiece.  The Star Rookie logo was replaced with the patch of the Topps Tribute card.

The Upper Deck logo was replaced with a Collecting Cutch logo. 

The bat was positioned to be on Andrew's shoulder similar to Griffey's and the treeline in the background was added to mimic the Griffey as well.  I asked Tanner to show an image of Cutch wearing a chain necklace on the back of the card (which you can see below). 

Since Griffey is a lefty and Cutch is a righty, the bats were mirrored.
The back of the card discusses part of the inspiration for the card. 

I think he nailed it.
Here is an image of the duplicate patch cards.  I chose for the "better" patch to be cut up because the yellow matched up with the Star Rookie better.
What do you think? 

What are some of the most iconic non Topps cards?



5 comments:

  1. A. Sweet card! I was always blown away by the Tanner's Canseco customs. He did a fantastic job on this Cutch.

    B. Some that stood out from my childhood and college years:
    84D Mattingly
    86D Canseco
    89UD Griffey
    90L Thomas
    93SP Jeter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I already mentioned on Twitter, but that card is fantastic. Probably love it so much because of how much I love the original. Fuji put together a really nice list of iconic non Topps cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He did a great job with the request! Unique addition to the collection!

    ReplyDelete