Thursday, May 30, 2019

Joe Maddon, the Mad Scientist pt2

On Sunday Night, Joe Maddon had his Chicago Cubs team arrive in Houston wearing throwback basketball uniforms.  Since it's (Throwback) Thursday and the NBA Finals will kick off let's review what was worn.

We begin with Jon Lester sporting a Penny Hardaway pinstripe jersey and the old school Penny sneakers.
This may have been my personal favorite of the bunch considering that Penny was one of my three favorite basketball players growing up.  The others being Reggie Miller and Tim Hardaway.

I just showed off my Lester autograph last week when I questioned the impact prospects have on our hobby.


This wins best original concept award.  Cole Hamels as Jackie Moon sporting a Flint Tropics jersey made famous by Will Ferrell.  FANTASTIC CHOICE MR. HAMELS!

Here is another Just Minors dual signature card I have of Cutch, this time featuring Cole Hamels.

Also a printing plate featuring McCutchen and Hamels



Since it is Chicago, what kind of team would the Cubs be if they didn't support an All-Time Great and Chicago Bulls Legend, Michael Jordan?  Jason Heyward stepped up to the plate and he looks like he could actually ball.
Yet, another Just Minors dual auto card.

But wait, there's more...
Cutch, Heyward, another Maddon favorite, David Price

A dual History of Game card


And a printing plate from Just Minors


And a sexta jersey booklet


Want more basketball jerseys?  How about Albert Amora and Anthony Rizzo both sporting recently retired Dwayne Wade Miami Vice jerseys.

Plenty of Rizzo cards to go around which I've already shown off here.





And to wrap things up, the greatest act of all.  El Mago, the Magician Javy Baez, doing his checkups as the Doctor, Julius Erving.

And we finish with a sexta autograph booklet featuring autographs of Anthony Rendon, Javy Baez, Josh Bell, Ryan Zimmerman, Starlin Castro, and of course Cutch.

Who are you rooting for in the NBA Finals?

4 comments:

  1. I won't watch it... but I'll be forced to listen to recaps and commentary on local radio for the next few weeks. That being said... if I was forced to choose, I'd say the Raptors. I just picked up a Kawhi Leonard graded rookie card back in December for a great price. I'd love to see it climb in value a wee bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was awesome. Those Heat VICE jerseys are the best.

    I'll be watching every game, as I love the NBA. While I don't think they have a shot I'll be rooting for the Raptors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My NBA knowledge is such that until this post I was under the impression that Penny Hardaway and Tim Hardaway were the same person. Looking it up, I now know it's actually Penny Hardaway and Anfernee Hardaway who are one and the same.

    I suppose I'm rooting for Golden State, simply because I've got a good card of Steph Curry (#'d 12/25) and an auto of Klay Thompson (#'d 12/24), so I guess I want them to go up in value.

    But then again, I'll usually root for the underdog, so it'd be kinda cool if Toronto pulled it off. But I don't like Drake, their human mascot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent cards as usual. I hope to be watching some of the Finals; I'll be for Golden State, mainly because I'm usually for the better team when I don't have a personal rooting interest.

    ReplyDelete