Sunday, January 29, 2017

Cross off another from the list

I had already stopped collecting when the original Gold Label cards came out in the early 2000s.  That's probably a gold thing though because I would have probably over paid for Jason Kendall and Jason Schmidt cards from that time.

When the 2016 Gold Label checklist was released I saw that Cutch was listed which meant I would have to add and track down 9-12 cards if I was lucky to find the Gold 1/1s.

Well after a few months I have completed all 3 classes for the base, blue, and red.

The base and reds were easy to track down even though the reds are supposed to be the rarest (golds excluded).

The hardest one for me to find?

Class 3 Blue.

Why? I don't know.  Since release only a few have hit the market, but nearly a dozen of the Class 3 Reds (/25) have shown up for sale.  Weird, right?

The back of the card talks about Cutch's 3 consective 20/20 seasons from 2011 to 2013.  He was on track in 2014 too, but suffered an injury in retaliation for Ernesto Frieri ending Paul Goldschmidt's season.  The injury landed Cutch out of the lineup for nearly 2 weeks and limited his base stealing during the final month of the season.  He would finish two bases shy.


8 comments:

  1. Thanks AJ. I didn't realize my scanner cut off the bottom of the page for the Class 3s and I'm too lazy to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the finished product when it comes to parallels, but it can be frustrating when you're trying to track them all down. Weird how the blue was tougher to find than the red. Hard to believe how long ago the Pirates/D-Backs thing was. When I read 2014 I was like, wow, was it that long ago. Time flies. I feel bad for both Goldy and Cutch for that situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a brutal time for fans of both players. Goldy was on track for MVP season aling with Cutch. Ernesto Frieri is the single most hated Pirates reliever I have ever watched. I hated seeing one of my favorite guys (Jason Grilli) get traded for that bum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always applaud your patience for putting together all these parallel sets. The Gold Label looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. I have become super focused on only adding McCutchen cards to my PC in the past 6 months.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks. I am waiting for more McCovey updates from you.

      Delete