Saturday, December 2, 2017

Toys Toys Toys

When I was a kid I was spoiled for Christmas presents.  I had so many Masters of the Universe figures and Transformers and Thundercats.

I remember looking at the JC Penney and Sears Christmas catalogs every year and giving my wish list to my parents, aunts and uncles, grandparents, etc.

My parents would always drop me off at my grandparents the day after Thanksgiving, now known as Black Friday, so they could go shopping.  I never caught on to this until I was a teenager.

I bet they spent a lot of time at Toys R Us though in the early and mid 80s when I was 8 or younger.

I bring this up because as the holiday shopping continues to set in I realize that not as many people are going to Toys R Us anymore.  With Amazon, eBay, and a host of other online options available are people still spending all day shopping at actual retail establishment?

I know I generally don't.

I hit up Kohl's for winter clothes and sometimes Target for DVDs at $5 or less, but that's basically it now.

Is Toys R Us still the go to place for children gifts?

I know I still like their purple parallels as seen above.  This card brings me very close to my 2,000th unique Cutch card.  I got a few big time cards rolling in soon in addition to some parallels that I have been chasing for awhile.  I wouldn't be surprised if I hit #2,000 by end of December.

3 comments:

  1. I loved the Sears wishbook! I always enjoyed seeing the Starting Lineup figures of the non-local players.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too had a toy box filled to the brim with Transformers figures and there was no greater joy than going to Toys R Us the day after Christmas to spend the money my relatives usually gave me as a Christmas gift. As far their current standing, it seems that online retailers have them on the ropes. My nostalgia hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never got what I asked for. The sears catelog was as close as I got to the ghostbusters figure I wanted

    ReplyDelete