Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Just A Random Rainbow: Entry 1

I am falling into some writer's block trying to come up with good content for the blog.  Once the baseball season gets started I am certain I will have plenty to talk about, but with spring training still a month away I am looking for some inspiration.

I think I will do a new style of posts where I show off some of the rainbows I have for certain sets. 

With nearly 2,700 unique cards of Cutch in my collection now I have LOTS of rainbows started. 

This will give me a chance to show and talk about my favorite parallel of the rainbow, any needs I may have for the set and also talk about any unique stories relating to the rainbow.
I am going to start with 2016 Diamond Kings as the inaugural Random Rainbow. 
2016 Diamond Kings is my favorite design from the Diamond Kings line.  The product release began in 2015 and offered collectors a chance to get artisticly designed cards that Topps was doing with their Gypsy Queen line and take it a new level.

The product offered multiple parallels to chase from Artist's Proofs (base/99, silver/25, and black /1) and Framed Parallels (base framed/unnumbered, red/99, blue/99, green/5, and black/1). 

Of the standard issued cards there were 9 parallels to chase in total.
I currently have 5 of the 9.  I still need the following:
Silver artist proof/25
Black artist proof/1
Green Frame /5
Black Frame/1

Obviously needing 2 1 of 1s will be tough to complete the rainbow.  The green/5 is going to be difficult as well and the silver artist proof is a tough find due to the foil not being very obvious on the card to highlight being a low numbered parallel.
Among all the parallels that I do have, there is one clear cut favorite and that is...

I am a sucker for bright red parallels (I also like blacks and pinks too though).  The bright red frame on the artistic canvas looking image screams a museum quality baseball card.  If Panini ever decides to make larger format cards I hope they do Diamond Kings as one of the initial releases.  This diamond king is truly king of my parallels for this set.

What do you think about me showing off some random rainbows in the future?  

4 comments:

  1. Rainbows are a fascinating topic...these days there are so many parallels that they're very daunting to more casual collectors like me.

    I did get kind of a jump on one, however, when I managed to find all four printing plates for the 2016 Donruss Optic Noah Syndergaard in a lot on eBay for a surprisingly reasonable price--under $40 for the lot. I don't often find ANY Mets 1/1s under $10, let alone of a top current star. I have a couple versions of the non-optic card and I recently added an orange parallel of the Optic /199, so I guess I'm on my way, but I can't imagine I'll ever get them all.

    I suppose that does raise the question of whether there is one overall rainbow, or separate rainbows of the different versions of the card. With Topps you can have the flagship, Chrome, Opening Day, and Holiday versions of the same card, all with their own parallels, and sometimes extra versions in team sets and all. Is there an uber-rainbow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that you have multiple rainbows is mindblowing. I say go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2016 DK is one of my favorite sets over the past few years. Good luck finishing your rainbow and can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete