Thursday, January 23, 2020

TEKnically I Could Have Waited

I wasn't collecting cards when the first run of Topps Tek (and it's many parallels) came out in the late 90s.

When the line relaunched in 2014 I thought it was so fun and wild, especially the color difractors.  Unfortunately Andrew McCutchen only appeared in the insert set.

Then 2015 came out and that checklist included Cutch.

I showed off my Tek collection a little over 3 years ago.  At the time I had nearly completed the entire rainbow of Cutch except pattern 6.  Pattern 7 is "tek"nically the tougher pull as they aren't guaranteed per case.  Pattern 6 falls only 1 per case and is estimated that it has a print run of only 25 copies.

Fast forward almost three years later from that post and I am finally talking about having gotten pattern 6 for my collection.

I look for new McCutchen cards probably 3-5 times a week on eBay, COMC, and sportlots.  When I saw pattern 6 pop up for the first time in nearly 4 years I knew I needed it for my collection.

Here's the thing though.
1)It was being sold by COMC so the s&h was going to be a dollar plus more than the actual cost to ship the item
2)Because it was COMC and only a few weeks away from their annual Black Friday sale I knew if I held out for a few more weeks I could get FREE SHIPPING
3)You can't negotiate offers with COMC via eBay

I ultimately decided to pay the near $17 for the card as I wasn't sure when (or if) another "pattern 6" would pop back up for sale.

It was delivered to my address over 70 days ago as you can see in the screenshot below.

I am just now writing about it.

It joins these others to complete the rainbow




Have you felt that you overpaid for a parallel because you didn't want to wait for a cheaper one to show up due to it's scarcity?

7 comments:

  1. Topps Tek gives me a headache with all those damn patterns, but that is a really impressive rainbow! I have overpaid for Peter Worrell parallels in the past, but I don't think anyone else is still collecting cards of a 4th-line enforcer that's been retired for 15 years so that doesn't happen much anymore. I do overpay for other rare singles, especially if I've wanted them for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that I've overpaid for any parallels, but I also don't tend to pay a lot for parallels in general. Only twice have I paid close to what you paid for this one, and both of those were 1/1's... my only two 1/1's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've definitely overpaid for rare parallels, no regrets most of the time I never see them come up again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely have! Don’t want to kick myself if I don’t snag it when I should.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one hits home - I’m currently trying to build a rainbow of Bryan Reynolds from 2019 Topps Chrome Update. I’m definitely overpaying for just about all of them. But, I love the cards and have no regrets... yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I have a few of the non chrome colors (pink, yellow, black). As for chrome I only have the pink

      Delete
  6. I can't think of a specific example, but I'm sure I've overpaid for a parallel before just to cross it off the list. They weren't parallels... but I just overpaid for a bunch of commons on Sportlots just to cross them off my list ;)

    ReplyDelete