Friday, April 28, 2017

A New Contest: The Top 10 Cards in my PC

I am doing another contest.  Congrats to defgav on winning the last contest and dubbing "The Cardboard Insider" segment which I will spotlight next week.

This is going to be an easy and fun one.

Show off your 10 favorite cards of your favorite player and mention/link my blog in your post.  The contest will end May 30th.
Everyone that participates will get entered for a random.org selection.  The prizes are all very nice and will be displayed at the end of this post.  Additional rules will appear below also.

Without further ado, here's my top 10 in order.
#10 2013 Dual Relic/Dual Autograph Gerrit Cole and Andrew McCutchen
This card just doesn't pop up for sale very often although there is one on eBay right now in the $350 range.  2013 was a great season for the Pirates.  They broke the streak of 20 losing seasons and made the playoffs.  Cutch and Cole were a large part of the reason the team was so successful.  They were both going to be the future of the franchise as Cutch had just signed a very team friendly deal to stay in Pittsburgh through 2018 (if the options were picked up).  Gerrit Cole when pitching right is one of the best NL pitchers.  Together they are my favorite players of this millennium to wear a Buccos uniform.  I have other Cutch and Cole cards and some may be more expensive, but this is my favorite because of it's release date and the joys I had rooting for the Pirates during that 2013 season.

#9: 2013 Triple Threads Booklet
Ask any kid growing up in the 90s who their top 5 favorite baseball players are and Ken Griffey Jr is sure to be on that list.  No one disliked "the Kid." Cutch has stated in numerous interviews that Griffey was his favorite player growing up also.  Having 2 Hall of Famers, bats from Kemp and Bo, and 2 great looking patches for Bryce and Cutch make this booklet one of my favorites.  Only 3 exist and there are plenty of Harper, Griffey, and Bo fans that can be jealous that I own this one.


#8: Gypsy Queen Adam Jones and Andrew McCutchen Dual Button
I mentioned a few weeks ago that this card was easily in my top 10.  After looking at all my cool Cutch cards, I realized "I got a lot of cool Cutch cards."  Adam Jones is one of my nonPirates favorites so that definitely helps this card break the top 10.

#7: 2015 Topps Triple Threads All-Star Game Sleeve Patch 1/1
I realize this should be higher and maybe I am putting emotional significance on the top 5 higher, even though this card is just absolutely sick looking.  It's my list though and in terms of cards I would say that since each year Topps Triple Threads seem to do something like this, it doesn't hold the same WOW factor to me as it probably should.  It was Cutch's 4th All-Star Game.  He didn't win an MVP during that year (finished 3rd though).  It's a great looking card and looks incredible in the custom case I got for it, but the others mean more to me.


#6: 2009 Bowman Chrome Superfractor 1/1
There's going be nothing but 1/1s from here on.  When it comes to collecting Bowman cards, there's 2 kinds that people collect: a player's 1st Bowman Card (often found in Bowman Draft) and the player's Rookie Card.  The little RC logo adds a lot to the desirability of a player.  A 2005 Bowman Chrome Superfractor would be another Holy Grail card for me, but for now this Bowman Chrome beats all other 6 Superfractor in my collection for top parallel.


#5: 2012 Triple Threads All-Star Game Laundry Tag 1/1 booklet
Cutch's first All-Star Game was in 2011 at Arizona.  He was a replacement for Carlos Beltran.  He only got one plate appearance which was a check swing groundout to the pitcher.  Regardless of his performance in the game, this workout jersey is still from his 1st All-Star Game.


Note: I also have his laundry tag booklet card from 2015 Triple Threads for his 2014 All-Star Game (the first game he started)

#4 2005 Topps Chrome Cyan Printing Plate Autograph 1/1
I was able to grab this from someone that pulled it in 2014.  It was my 500th card of Cutch.  I am now near 1,700.  That shows how much of my collection has changed so that I could solely focus on Cutch.

#3: 2016 Immaculate Bat Knob 1/1
Unlicensed or not.  This was one of my favorite cards I got so far this year.  Featuring a bat knob that was PSA authenticated before Panini got it, it's a sense of relief to be able to verify the authenticity of the card.

#2:
It took awhile for my favorite product to get featured, but Allen & Ginter finally makes an appearance.  Combining a Cutch bat barrel nameplate and a Pedro Alvarez jersey nameplate, this 1/1 booklet was one of my first big cards I ever purchased.


#1: 2016 Allen & Ginter 1/1 Box Topper Nameplate
Quite literally one of the biggest cards I own, this massive and beautiful designed card shows the first part of McCutchen's nameplate from a home white jersey.

So there's my top 10 cards.
How do you like the way I ranked them? Would you rank them differently?

Honorable mentions (the just missed list):
Any of my 3 MLB Logoman cards

Any of my 3 Majestic Logo Cards

A pair of Autograph/Patch Booklets from Allen & Ginter that form the "P" on the alternate black uniform.

Any of these Superfractors could have earned a top spot, but the saying Chrome is King refers to Bowman, sorry random Topps products.


Triple Threads All-Star Game Patch cards /9 for each of Cutch's All-Star Games (so far)

How about this 1/1 Triple Threads Team Logo card with Jung Ho Kang and Gerrit Cole?  If it were not for Jung Ho's reckless behavior this card would have made the Top 10.  As more and more is becoming known about his character and actions, it is becoming harder for me to root for the guy.  Had this card been just Cutch and Cole it would have made the Top 10.  Need proof, go back to the top and see #10 for my reasons.


Now...onto the contest.

1)Leave a comment below with your link mentioning this contest and show off your 10 favorite cards of your favorite player.  They don't have to be mega hits.  You can like a card for it's photography, the joy of getting that card as a gift, whatever the reason...it's your list.

SHOW THEM OFF!!!!

2) All participants will receive tbeir blog entered into random.org as a result of participating.
Assuming there are at least 5 people who show off their top 10 here is the prize for the random.org result winner


1-A Craig Biggio Topps Dynasty autograph/patch card.


.
All other participants will receive one of the following cards




If less than 5 people participate, the Biggio will not be randomed off and I will just send you ONE of the above cards for participating.

56 comments:

  1. One of these years I hope to find that Cutch/Cole dual auto. I only chase a couple high end cards a year and that one is definitely one I would go after.

    Cool contest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great contest. Will do some digging for my Top 10 this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You're like the second coming of JBF. When you throw a contest, you don't mess around. I'll have my post up sooner than later. Thanks for the contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the link to my 10 favorite Tony Gwynn cards:

      http://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2017/05/the-cream-of-crop.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks for posting your top 10! Loved seeing all those Gwynns

      Delete
  4. My post will go live on my blog on Sunday morning. Thanks for the contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My post: http://fanofreds.blogspot.com/2017/04/a-collecting-cutch-contest-my-top-ten.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks for participating. You've been entered. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Doubt that I will participate in this one, but I can't wait to see what all the other bloggers are showing off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the contest, I had a good time writing up my post:
    http://bradsphilliesblog.blogspot.com/2017/04/my-ryan-howard-top-ten.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved seeing your Top 10. You've been entered

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the contest - here is my entry: http://borosny.blogspot.com/2017/05/top-10-cards-of-favorite-player.html

    I notice on your wantlist you need his 2010 Topps Opening Day card? With 1,700 cards in your collection how is that possible? I have an extra and am happy to send it your way - send me your address. borosny at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining the contest. You have been added to the random.org entry.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the contest. It was hard trying to pick out just 10. Here is the link to my entry:
    http://cardinalsfan16.blogspot.com/2017/05/top-10-ray-lankford-cards-and-contest.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this awesome contest.... I've been meaning to do a blog post of my favorite Bill Freehan cards for awhile...good luck to all of the entries!

    http://johnsbigleaguebaseballblog.blogspot.com/2017/05/my-favorite-bill-freehan-baseball-cards.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for entering. I enjoy seeing these vintage cards that people are showing off

      Delete
  10. Count me in!

    http://wrigleyrosterjenga.blogspot.com/2017/05/the-best-of-best-pt-2-grace-yourselves.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Count me in! Here's my post: http://diamond-jesters.blogspot.com/2017/05/top-10-ellis-burks.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for entering the contest. I enjoyed looking back at those cards. Cutch might end his career with numbers similar to Burks.

      Delete
  12. Here's the link to my post. Hopefully y'all enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying reading others'.

    http://ifeellikeacollectoragain.blogspot.com/2017/05/top-10-card-of-my-favorite-player.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're entered. Thanks for joining. I want to start a hockey PC soon. The Cardboard just looks awesome

      Delete
  13. Interesting idea.. Now to find a player I collect that I have 10 card or more of to do this.. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! My Andrew Shaw collection was about the only option that I had!

      Delete
    2. Well, I found I Have a few guys I have more than 10 of.. I've covered one of my favourite players to death already, so I don't want to use that one.. Most of my other favourites are either guys I don't collect or guys who didn't have many cards made. Or collected because they were Jays or Expos.. lol

      Delete
  14. Here's mine.

    https://nabcb.blogspot.ca/2017/05/top-ten-cards-justin-morneau.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish Morneau resigned with the Bucs in 2014. Thanks for joining the contest.

      Delete
  15. I'm down for this...here's my entry/post. My top Brooks Robinson cards. http://5toolcollector.blogspot.com/2017/05/my-10-fave-brooks-robinson-cards.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome collection of Brooks cards. Thanks for joining the contest

      Delete
  16. Thanks so much for running this contest: it was great to line up all the cards and chose. Here is my Darryl Strawberry entry: http://baseballeverynight.blogspot.com/2017/05/collecting-cutch-contest-top-10-darryl.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Strawberrys. Thanks for joining the contest

      Delete
  17. Hope this contest is still running tomorrow, going to show off some cards then and will link it.

    You have an awesome Top 10 amd honorable mentions by the way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running through the end of the month.

      Delete
    2. I missed that til now after re-reading it. Putting mine together today and have added you to my blogroll. Thanks!

      Delete
  18. Got mine up tonight instead, here ya go :)
    http://sportcardcollectors.blogspot.com/2017/05/the-griffey-top10.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Julia, but I don't think you will be entered into the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome cards you have of Cutch! I'd play, but My cards are in Florida and I am not, but maybe next time. Nice prize (s) too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. FINALLY.

    http://thelostcollector.blogspot.com/2017/05/my-top-ten-tinos.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Not nearly as fancy as all those but here you are: http://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2017/05/10-favorite-ceys-without-showing-my.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Here's a link to mine:

    http://razcardblog.blogspot.com/2017/05/ten-of-my-favorite-dickeys.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Here is my entry. http://betterthanbeckett.blogspot.com/2017/05/my-top-10-paul-goldschmidt-cards.html

    It took me a while, but I appreciate the contest because it made me realize that I didn't have scans of some of my favorite Goldschmidt cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Goldy's. Thanks for entering the contest.

      Delete
  25. Great contest-thank you!

    Finally out my list together

    http://yadiermolinabaseballcards.blogspot.com/2017/05/a-new-contest-top-10-cards-in-my-pc-oh.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome collection of Yadi cards. Yadi is the baseball player I respect the most because of how much he has hurt the Pirates playoff hopes in 2013-2015

      Delete
  26. Right down to the wire. Thanks for letting this one run for so long. Here's mine for Todd Helton:

    https://infieldflyrulecards.blogspot.com/2017/05/todd-helton-collecting-cutch-contest.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Entering at the last possible moment.

    http://cardboardcatastrophes.blogspot.com/2017/05/ten-favorites.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. Waited until the 2nd to last day to enter, but here is my entry.

    http://30aweekhabit.blogspot.com/2017/05/my-top-10-pc-cards-for-joe-sakic.html

    Thank you for the contest!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. My post is up! Thanks for the contest.

    http://bumpandruncards.blogspot.com/2017/05/my-top-10-barry-sanders.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. here's my post

    http://cardsasiseethem.blogspot.com/2017/05/top-ten-garveys.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Entry under the wire.

    http://plaschkethysweaterisargyle.blogspot.com/2017/05/my-top-10-ryan-getzlaf-cards.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. I wrote up a post but waited until after the official close so I wouldn't take a prize from someone who would appreciate it more...but you can read it here anyway: http://cardboardhistory.blogspot.com/2017/05/top-10-dale-earnhardt-jr.html

    ReplyDelete