Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Gotta Cutch Em All (or just the ones you really like actually)

There hasn't been a lot of new cards for the collection since I injured my foot.  This is because I have been more frugal in my spending, but also because Topps still hasn't released a card of Cutch yet in a Brewers uniform and he was held out of a lot of 2022 sets so far. 

One thing I have been doing is getting into art cards more.  As a former comic book collector and original art collector I am finding that I love the idea of owning an original piece of art of my favorite athlete.

I recently discovered an artist named Melanie aka Lone Star Art Cards on Instagram and was blown away by her approach on creating these unique cards.

Her Instagram is here.  

She transformed 2 random Andrew McCutchen duplicate inserts into works of art.

This Pokemon themed card is based on a 2017 5 Tool Talent insert from Topps.
I remember at the height of Cutch mania in Pittsburgh there being a Nike shirt that said Gotta Cutch Em All.  I always liked that idea of being a play on the Pokemon phrase so I asked Melanie to transform one of the few cards of Cutch throwing a ball into a Pokemon themed card.

Love how this turned out.

I always wanted Cutch to have one of those Panini Downtown cards or Topps Home Field Advantage cards, but his peek performance years were when Topps didn't produce 25+ parallels in a set and when they didn't make any creative inserts.  

Again, Melanie to the rescue.

She transformed a 2011 Hometown Heroes insert from Allen & Ginter into a Pittsburgh Pirates themed downtown card.
You go the Clemente bridge, a massive Pirate ship, a parrot.

Mind f-ing blown!!!!

If you would like a commissioned art card hit her up on Instagram and tell her Collecting Cutch sent you her way. 

Oh and because shes a true artist she wrapped up the cards using tissue paper in a funky way that made me not want to rip them open.
Amazing work Melanie
Amazing!!!!

5 comments: