Monday, January 20, 2020

A Plethora of Pops

With the Hall of Fame voting revealed tomorrow I thought I should finally show off this pair of McCutchen cards with one of the greatest Pirates of All-Time and Hall of Famer, Willie "Pops" Stargell.

Stargell was a first ballot Hall of Famer getting 82% of the vote in 1988.  He finished his career with 57.5 WAR according to baseball reference.

There are 13 players on this year's ballot with career WAR greater than 57.5 WAR.
In terms of position players with outfield or 1st base experiience the following players have more WAR than Pops: Barry Bonds, Gary Sheffield, Todd Helton, Andruw Jones, Manny Ramirez, Sammy Sosa, and Bobby Abreau.

This quad patch relic features the runPMC crew (Polanco, Marte, Cutch) with the Pirates legend.  Some people were really impressed by it a few days ago, but I never gave it the proper spotlight it deserved.
I grabbed it using an eBay bucks promo late in 2018.

I have had it as a saved draft for literally a year to the date.
I tend to scan cards and use the keywords tags to help locate cards to assist when I am ready to finally share the cards online.

Here is another low numbered Heritage relic featuring Pops, Marte, and Cutch.
I have a couple different variants of this 2015 Clubhouse Collection design with Cutch.  Others include
Cutch with Clemente
Cutch with Stargell
Cutch with Stargell and Clemente
Cutch with Stargell, Polanco, and Marte

I showed a lot of these off in the past.

And here is a card that regretably doesnt feature Cutch with Stargell and Clemente.

2 Pirates Hall of Fame Legends with a pair of recent Pirates Joshes.
I'm curious if there will be any Pirates Clubhouse Collection cards this year.  The Heritage set is based on 1971 Topps.  The Pirates were World Series Champions that year on an unbelievable performance by Roberto Clemente.

I was surprised that Topps didn't make a McCutchen Giants card in 2018 with McCovey, Mays, or Marichal last year.

Maybe there will be some Cutch Heritage relics in Phillies uniforms this year to chase.

3 comments: