Monday, June 12, 2017

Don't Fail This Draft

Since Neal Huntington took over he has focused on projectable tall, easy delivery, hard throwing pitchers and up the middle defensive line drive hitters.

Prior to Huntington taking over in 2008 there really wasn't much of a prototype the Pirates used in their first 3 rounds.

The last first round pick prior to the new regime (owner, GM, President of Baseball Operations) was used on a highly controversal pick in 2007 when the Pirates selected left handed pitcher Daniel Moskos instead of Matt Wieters.

MLB recently did an article where they redrafted the 2007 class.  Their redraft had Giancarlo Stanton falling to them at #4 after Bumgarner, Price, and Donaldson came off the board.  Stanton would have been a nice pick.

I won't knock Daniel on this blog because he is an extremely nice guy all the times I got to see him in the minor leagues.  He also got the last out when the Altoona Curve won the 2010 Eastern League Championship (which I attended).  However, pitching only 24.1 innings at the major league level SIX years ago hardly warrants recognition for the 4th overall pick.

I have a few Moskos autographs in my collection.  This is the only one that pairs the pair of New Millenium Face of the Franchise with Most Hated Draft Pick By the Fans.  It is numbered 4/10 and is one of my many Cutch pairings that I have been able to get very cheap because the second player devalued the card.  Wait until I show off my Billy Rowell dual autos.

1 comment:

  1. I'm hoping for the same from the Yankees. Outside of a few picks just now having an impact, they've come up very empty-handed over the last 15-20 years.

    ReplyDelete