Monday, December 4, 2017

Isn't it Iconic, don't you think?

This may surprise some of you, but I love making puns.  I do it all day at work.  A lot of times my Blog Post Titles tend to be a play on words as well.

I was born in the 80s so when angry Alanis Morisette made her hit single Ironic on the 1995 Jagged Little Pill album I was just hitting my peek teen years.  While I was still getting over the death of Kurt Cobain and Nirvana, I couldn't turn my head away from all the 90s version of emo girls that listened to Alanis' album.

And I went through all that blabbering because as I saw this EXTREMELY rare Diamond Icon /10 being added to my collection I broke out into some Ironic but called it Iconic.

The irony of the whole thing is that the card is a Diamond Icon numbered to only 10 copies in the world.  Boxes sell regularly in the $1,000 range.  And yet here's Topps giving us collectors a really nice Plain Grey Swatch on a very boring and bland card design.

The front of the card doesn't bother me as the jersey swatch, albeit a plain road grey swatch, actually matches the uniform on the card.

The back though, there is nothing iconic about it.

Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

7 comments:

  1. And that's actual irony, unlike every situation described in Alanis' song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see what you did there. Nicely done.

    The markings on the front of the card actually look more like a basketball to me, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of the card companies seem to think a player superimposed over white is classy and expensive. Yet it really looks cheap and boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree. At least the jersey swatch matches the jersey seen on card

      Delete
  4. Love the title. Still have jagged little pill on CD I believe lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't exactly a huge Alanis Morissette fan... but she did have a few good songs on that album. As for $1,000 boxes with plain gray swatches... it must have been a Jagged Little Pill to swallow for the collector who pulled this card.

    ReplyDelete