Monday, February 28, 2022

IYKYK, acquiring a super rare card for under $5

I see people post hash tags with IYKYK and I'm often looking at that saying IDK.  This new social media talk has got me worried about the future where all vowels will be obsolete and many common phrases will just be abbreviated. 

Anyway IYKYK means If You Know You Know.  It's often associated with something in the hobby that is known to hobby collectors, but the common collectors may not be aware.

I recently purchased a card off eBay for under $5 that tends to sell for over $100.  It shouldn't be valued that much, but the urban myths surrounding this card make it very very rare despite being serial numbered on back to 2013.

Unlike many cryptids like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster, this card does exist and has been documented with proof of it's existence.  That doesn't make it any less rare.

There were some posts on blowoutcards back in 2013 and 2014 about this rare card which you can visit here.

I contemplated messaging the seller about his very low Buy-It-Now price, but since I am a Super Collector and not going to flip it, I thought it would be ok to just take advantage of this good fortune.  In addition I have a goal to display all my gold parallels of Cutch in a large frame once he retires so I couldn't pass it up.
The seller also included a very nice note thanking me for the purchase and asking for feedback upon receipt of this card.
I still can't believe I got one of these for under $5. 


Have you ever told someone that a card you wanted to buy was way underpriced?

4 comments:

  1. Unless a significant percentage of the print run was damaged, held back, or hoarded there's no reason a /2013 card of a non-rookie should be $100 - but it's a great deal if you haven't seen it and needed it for your PC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its believed only about 50 got printed with many being damaged along with the Brad Miller card.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've done it on eBay, but I've done it to people at card shows. Last year my buddy had a Frank Thomas autograph in his dollar box. It was a promotional card, so he figured it wasn't a real autograph. But it totally was. After looking the card up, we found one on either COMC or eBay and he put it in his display case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had seen that acronym before, but had no idea what it meant. Thanks for sparing me the embarrassment of possibly having to Google it at some point.

    ReplyDelete