Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Without Words Wednesday

When I was younger I used to get excited about heading to the comic book shop every Wednesday to pick up my latest stack of comics released that day.  I loved the art and the characters and of course the stories of my favorite super heroes.  Truth be told it was the art that kept me coming back more than anything else.  Over the course of 5 years I went to many comic conventions and met many of my favorite creators.  I was fortunate to get sketches of some of my favorite artists during that time also.  The ability to tell a story from these images created without using words is just mind blowing to me.  After all a picture is worth a 1000 words is a cliche saying for a reason.

I still enjoy getting sketches of my favorite super hero.  The only difference is that my favorite super hero is a real life superstar of a guy who brought fans back to enjoying baseball in what for the past two decades has been known as a football and hockey town.

I have a large collection of pack pulled Andrew McCutchen sketch cards.

I also have a large collection of Artist Proof commissions.  My favorite artist to get sketches from is Juan Rosales.  The detail he puts into all the commissioned sketch cards is mind blowing. To see other sketch cards I have gotten of this superstar artist click here
This Artist Proof is from a 2018 Museum Collection stock.  He perfectly captured Cutch waiting on deck and used the Pirates colors to create a stunning and simple background.  I could go on and on about the subtle details Juan put into this sketch, but I am out of words.

4 comments:

  1. That sketch is so good that I had to go back and see that it was an actual sketch card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your collection has so much variety. Always look forward to what's next.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Rosales did a great job on this sketch card. Love the B&W portrait with the yellow background.

    ReplyDelete