Sunday, May 26, 2019

Swap The Color

Topps Heritage has been known to pay tribute to their previous designs and history of cardboard in a way that many fans young and old enjoy.

Sometimes the number of parallel error and variations to chase may get annoying, but this is one card release I greatly enjoy the chase for all of them.

1969 had several known printing errors that caused variations to chase in their,release.  One of the more famous was the player name color swaps.

As you can see from the 1969 Topps Gaylord Perry card has two versions to chase.  Images supplied by TCDB.  The yellow last name is the corrected version, while the white version is the lesser available version.

The same can be said for many other players including Reggie Jackson.

Topps paid tribute to these color swaps by making a team name color swap in their 2018 Heritage High Number release.
Above you can see the white team name color swap version next to the base.

The back makes the color swap version known by placing an identifier of the parallel by the card number.

5 comments:

  1. Geez. I would have flipped right by those cards in a pack and never would have known it was a swap version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one thing I like about Topps and their Heritage line. They try to honor the original set. I guess I need to go back through my 2018 Heritage (the one blaster I purchased) and see if I have any of these color swap versions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to be THAT guy, but the Gaylord Perry is a '69.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Idk why I typed 68 instead of 69. Thanks for pointing out the error in my ways.

      Delete
  4. Heritage has always been one of my favorite products. They make variations that are enjoyable to collect, and that McCutchen is no exception.

    ReplyDelete