Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Taking the Bus of Superfractor Journeys

While I was saving up to purchase our first home I was presented with several opportunities to add many new Superfractors to my collection.

One of them was the 2005 Bowman Draft Superfractor which was sold by PWCC not once, but twice within a span of 3 weeks.  A month later news broke that PWCC would be banned from selling on eBay and was caught up in shill bidding. Both times it sold for around $3K.

I also had the opportunity to add Cutch's 2005 Topps Chrome Superfractor via an online auction house.  Only one person had bid on it and I probably could have acquired that card for around $3K also.  Fast forward to January and the new owner of that card offered to sell it to me for $6K.  I again passed as I had just moved into the house and didn't feel comfortable adding the card to my collection, despite being a grail card, because I wanted to remain financially responsible in the new house.

Fast forward two more months and that card is now listed on eBay for $35K or best offer.  

That is insane!

I love Superfractors.  I have 28 of them (includes the Panini gold vinyls which use the same technology)
I love 1/1s. I have nearly 300 of them.
I love Andrew McCutchen cards. I have over 3,500 of them.

What I don't have is $35K to spend on a baseball card for a card I could have gotten for under $3K only five months ago. 

Would I love to add that card to my collection? Absolutely! 

Will I ever add the card to my collection?
Probably not.

I made mention of appreciating what I have more instead of just hoarding more cards.  I have started to catalog all my Jerome Bettis cards and came across this rather unique (sort of rare) Jerome Bettis 1994 Topps "Special Effects" strip card.
The technology on this card is about a decade before the term superfractor was used.  Although the circles aren't golden, they do reflect the light the same way.  Copies of this card can be picked up for around $3, which is a great price for a Hall of Famer second year card. Much cheaper than a McCutchen first year superfractor for sure. 

I will keep showing off Cutch cards and maybe even some progress pics of the Cutch Cave, but while I'm still refined to staying off my feet, I'll just sot around and go through these boxes of Jerome Bettis cards.
Jerome Bettis is my favorite football player (with Troy Polamalu a very close second).  I suspect I will be having fun organizing the collection. 

What football player(s) do you collect? How many unique cards of him do you have?

3 comments:

  1. Maybe it's just me, but I find it weird that someone would spend a couple of grand on a card, just to then try to flip it someone else for double the price a couple of months later -- and when that doesn't work, stick it on eBay for an obscene price. I don't if it's because I'm in a different income bracket, or what, but this sort of thing makes absolutely no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like fun to go through. I don't know that I'll ever own a Superfractor, seeing as the most I've ever spent on a single card is $12.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some insane prices indeed! Enjoy your Bus collection and sit it out...prices will fall back to earth soone enough.

    ReplyDelete