Saturday, March 26, 2022

The Ultimate Lineup Using only Andrew McCutchen cards

After looking at some of the reactions to my recent Dynasty post, I thought it might be fun to do a similar "make a team" style post.  This time however, my team can only consist of players from cards I own that also feature Andrew McCutchen.

Let's start with my bench players:
Tris Speaker and Mike Trout
Reggie Jackson
Miggy Cabrera

Now that I have your attention by claiming 2 of the best centerfielder of all time and one of the best modern day right handed hitters are on my bench, it's time to round out with the best of the rest I have to put on the bench

Javy Baez
Nolan Arenado



Now for the lineup

Rickey Henderson (LF)
Honus Wagner (SS)

Roberto Clemente (RF)
Willie Mays (CF)
Mike Schmidt (3B)

Willie Stargell (1B)
Ken Griffey Jr. (DH)
Jackie Robinson (2B)
Buster Posey (C)
Clayton Kershaw (SP)

Relief Pitchers/Rotation Starters
Jason Grilli
David Price
Andrew Miller

Gerrit Cole
A.J. Burnett
Cole Hamels


So there's my team featuring players to appear on a card with Cutch. I would love to see if any of you can pick a single player in your collection and field a better team using cards of only players pictured on cards with one of your favorite players. If you do a bat around style post, please leave a comment below and share your team. 

6 comments:

  1. Can't imagine I'd have anything close--I doubt I could even field a full lineup. I'll take a look though.

    The hitting is awesome, close to an all-time all-star team; the pitching is not of the same caliber though--I suppose that shows that card manufacturers usually don't pair up top hitter with top pitchers. And you need someone to be a backup catcher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, did a little digging. I can put together a lineup for Gary Carter cards, if I don't mind playing a couple guys out of position.

      1B: Keith Hernandez, 1987 Fleer SuperStar Special "Magic Mets"
      2B: David Wright, 2010 Topps Legendary Lineage (Wright never played second, but he played a little short so he should be OK.)
      SS: Cal Ripken Jr., 1986 Dorman's Cheese
      3B: Tony Peña, 1986 Sportsflics Decade Greats Best Of The 80's Catchers (He played a couple innings there.)
      LF: Kevin McReynolds, 1988 Topps Mets Team Leaders
      CF: Andre Dawson, 2018 Donruss French Connection
      RF: Dave Parker, 1982 Fleer NL All-Stars
      C : Lance Parrish, 1986 Sportsflics Decade Greats Best Of The 80's Catchers (same card as Tony Peña)
      DH: Daryl Strawberry, 1987 Topps Mets Team Leaders
      SP: Roger Clemens, 1987 Fleer SuperStar Special "All Star Battery"
      RP: Tug McGraw, 2001 Sunoco Dream Team

      Of course it's not comparable to a team where Mike Trout's on the bench, but I wouldn't want to face this team even if Peña at third is a defensive liability. How do I not have a card of Carter and Mike Piazza?

      George Brett would arguably have a better lineup, except I don't have a catcher for him at all:

      1B: Don Mattingly, 1986 Sportflics The Big Six Active .300 Hitters
      2B: Rod Carew, 1981 Donruss Best Hitters
      SS: Robin Yount, 2000 Upper Deck Generations Of Excellence
      3B: Mike Schmidt, 2002 Fleer Greats Dueling Duos
      LF: Paul Molitor, 1985 Topps Rub Downs
      CF: Andre Dawson, 1985 Topps Rub Downs (yup, same "card" as above)
      RF: Fred Lynn, 1986 Sportsflics Tri-Stars
      DH: Wade Boggs, 1986 Fleer SuperStar Special "Boggs And Hero"
      SP: Gaylord Perry, 1983 Fleer SuperStar Special "The Pine Tar Incident"
      RP: Ken Brett, 1977 Topps Big League Brothers

      That's also a solid team if I can find someone to don the tools of ignorance. I can't even find a card of Brett where there's an identifiable catcher making a cameo. If anyone can figure out who's behind him on this 1991 Classic: https://www.tcdb.com/ViewCard.cfm/sid/8451/cid/434506/1991-Classic-I-T46-George-Brett, that's my catcher.

      Well, that was fun. Now I have to find a card of George Brett with a catcher!

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately, Bill Freehan isn't on any multiple player cards, and neither is Matthew Boyd.

    As for Cabrera, he's gonna join the 600 Doubles club this year...ONLY 192 behind Trus Soeaker.

    Good Job. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great idea for a post. I started writing my Mt. Rushmore of non hall of famers, but haven't had time to finish it. I'm thinking I have enough combo cards of Gwynn to fill up a lineup, but it might take awhile for me to publish the post. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun post! I was having fun with it and then the pitchers started, but yes, it must be odd to pair hitters with pitchers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love that you are able to do this with your McCutchen cards. Such a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete