Saturday, September 4, 2021

Celebrating 40


1981

Not only is it my birth year, but it also represents the first year for Donruss and Fleer to produce licensed baseball cards.

In 2014 Panini revitalized the Donruss brand and the following year (2015) they were creating a retro design similar to the 1981 design found as a subset of the base set.  They would recreate a "heritage style" design for each subsequent year (2016-1982, 2017-1983, etc).
The 2015 Donruss retro design came with a limited number of parallels to chase after. 

Pictured above are the base (left) and bronze press proof /299 (right).

I still need the Hot off the Press (unnumbered) case hits and blue press proof /199. 
The backs of the card have the same kind of retro look as the original design.

I'm not sure what today will bring to celebrate my 40th, but I know I will search all the traditional sites I frequent to see if I can add one of the 2 missing parallels I need for this Cutch rainbow. 


8 comments:

  1. Happy 40th! I hope you're able to celebrate & enjoy it. I was actually looking forward to my 40th, until Covid moved in :/ When I turned 41 last month I told everyone at work that my 40th had been postponed.. so I was still 39 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great day, young man.
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! 1981 was the year I started collecting baseball cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! Remember, as long as you're younger than I, you're still YOUNG! I hit 55 yesterday....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday, Brian!

    ReplyDelete