Tuesday, June 21, 2022

The Card That Brought Me Back

I was furious when Topps left the Opening Day rookie class (Spencer Torkelson, Bobby Witt Jr, Julio Rodriguez) along with printing Cutch in a Phillies uniform again (he was removed from the 40 man roster in November 2021) for 2022 Topps Series 2. 

I even considered not buying any new 2022 and beyond cards because I was so irritated by the lack if quality control, set planning, and executing of their products.  I lost a lot of interest in the hobby.

Then Topps did something unthinkable.

They actually included all the RC Opening Day class as SSP and even included Cutch in a Brewers uniform as a photo variant.

Behold, the simple looking card that saved me from leaving the hobby. 
This card has fixed my cardboard itch.

It's a simple design and features just a normal photo of Cutch at the plate in his Brewers attire.  

It's perfect in everyday.  
The back even features full career stats. 

Have you ever had one card that brought you back into the hobby?

4 comments:

  1. Don't think there was a single card... but when I returned to the hobby in 1994... it was because I started opening packs in hopes of pulling Jason Kidd rookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have one card that did. But I'm glad Cutch found a way to make it into Series 2, as that was a scary bad omission. Sucks it's an SP, but at least doesn't seem too rare. Does it have parallels too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has parallels of his standard Phillies release, but there's no parallels of his Brewers SP

      Delete
  3. Glad Topps dragged you back in! Bummer Cutch is a SP though.

    ReplyDelete