Sunday, June 3, 2018

Hot Off The Press: I Blew It!!!

I stated that I used one of my Andrew McCutchen HomeRun Challenge cards yesterday.  Cutch had 2 RBI, but failed to hit a HR.

I should have used the prediction for today's game facing a former division rival Jake Arrieta.

Look at Cutch's career stats vs Jake and you'll understand why I didn't feel too comfortable for that matchup.

In over 60 at bats (so not a small sample size), Cutch has collected 1 RBI and only 4 extra base hits (all doubles).  He has a .633 OPS vs Arrieta in six seasons of facing the former Cub.

Wouldn't you know though that Cutch crushed a hanging breaking ball opposite field for a three run dinger in the sixth inning?

For those that haven't yet seen the score, the Giants beat the Phillies 6-1. Hall of Famer, Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez' son started the game and threw 6 innings to record his first career win.

This is Hot Off The Press....

Just like this unnumbered case hit from 2015 Donruss.
These cards are incredibly hard to find.  There's a Cal Ripken Jr supercollector I know of who has over 8K unique cards of The Iron Man, but even he hasn't been able to locate one of these yet for his collection.

 I think a large reason why these don't pop up often is because
1)they're unlicensed Donruss cards
2)they're not serially numbered to indicate the rarity
3)the foil on so many of them blend in with the card so well that unless you are looking for them you likely won't take notice they are a parallel

Only 1/3 of the set is currently available on the main secondary market locations (eBay, COMC, sportlots, just commons, amazon). If you collect current players and see one of these available, you should grab it.  Trust me when I say this, it might be a long time before you see another of these pop up again anytime soon.  They aren't very valuable, but insanely hard to find.

3 comments:

  1. At least Cutch played! I blew one of mine on a rainout. So dumb of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel these are kind of like those obscure Pinnacle inserts and parallels from a few years back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up. Never heard of these before.

    ReplyDelete