Monday, February 1, 2021

Behold the power of a green dragon

We are living in a hobby collecting world of parallels and variants.  Topps and Panini are trying to outpace each other by coming up with new and different parallels to chase after.

In 2020 Panini introduced Dragon Scale parallels (red and green color variants) in their Optic release.

Dragon scales?
We have seen green dragons appear in entertainment before.  The eternal dragon in Dragon Ball Z is green.

The original Green Power Ranger summons a Dragonzord
In the Marvel Universe, Fing Fang Foom is a giant green dragon creature that likes to cause chaos for the Marvel heroes.

But why a green dragon scale for baseball cards?

Why not? Is the best answer I can come up with.
Dragon scales parallels are awesome looking. If I were an Oakland A's fan, I would be sure to chase something like this parallel.


What are your thoughts on this parallel?

Who is your most memorable dragon (doesn't have to be green)?

7 comments:

  1. I knew they had snake skin parallels, but didn't know about dragons!

    Most memorable dragon...hmmm, maybe the one from Shrek? Or scratch that, maybe the dragons from Harry Potter 4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats the first I've seen that particular parallel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess my thought on that parallel is that I don't know why it's dragon skin as opposed to snakeskin or whatever. Maybe I'm being influenced by the dream I had this morning in which my wife bought a baby cobra and let it loose in the house for some reason. I recall at one point catching it and holding it at a distance waiting for her to bring its cage. No way I'd be brave enough to do that in real life!

    Most memorable dragon, without a doubt, is Puff the Magic Dragon! I actually got to know Peter Yarrow, who wrote the song, many years ago. Really nice guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I think of dragons... I think of Game of Thrones. As for an A's fan chasing these... I think they look pretty cool and the yellow and green goes really well with the team colors. I'd add them to my collection if I found them in a quarter bin (maybe a dollar for a Laureano or Chapman)... but I won't be adding them to my eBay saved list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first introduction to dragons was Smaug from The Hobbit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Reynolds parallel is interesting. I don't hate it.

    The first dragon I think of is the Dragon Warrior game for NES. It was one of my favorites as a kid. I think I still have it in my closet. Also, the New Jersey Nets very nearly changed their name to the Swamp Dragons in the '90s.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remember the movie Drago with Sean Connery, good stuff!

    ReplyDelete