Monday, October 4, 2021

Let's explore how I do these posts


For the first time in 5 years I missed posting on a day in October.  For those that were hoping to see a post yesterday, I apologize.  I did warn in advance that I may not be able to do daily posts this year. 

Some people have commented in the past how it's amazing that I can connect almost anything to an Andrew McCutchen baseball card.  And that is true!  

But unlike the greatest magicians in the world, I am going to pull the curtain back and reveal some of my secrets. 

The first thing I do is find a card that has pink on it
For example I have this 2017 5x7 Topps Heritage Gold Throwback Photo Variation.  The card has a pink team name plate in the bottom right corner.

If there is nothing relevant on the back of the card depicting the player's hobby, a date discussing a game, or strange feat accomplished I focus on the front of the card to help guide me to a celebrity to tie to this card.

The first thing I do is look at the year it was produced.

In this case there are multiple years that are relevant for this card.  

First it's a 2017 card.  Obviously no one is born in 2017, but there are certainly popular movies, songs, and TV shows that were relevant to 2017.  I'll keep that as an option. 

The card uses the design of 1968 Topps.  That would mean I am looking at a 52 or 53 year old celebrity.  Molly Ringwald, Kylie Minogue, Ashley Judd, Naomi Watts, Lucy Lawless are just some of the names that could be associated with this card due to their birth year.
There is also the mid 90s to early 2000s uniform being worn by Cutch from the Jason Kendall era of Pirates baseball.  That could be useful if I wanted to tie it into Kylie Minogue's Street Fighter role as the character Cammy based on the hit 90s video game.

Options, there are plenty...

Sometimes I look to see if there is a serial number that can be used as a potential birthday or film/album release.  

For this particular card, the serial number is 7/10 or July 10th.  

There are actually a lot of celebrities born on July 10th that I have used in the past.




There is one other celebrity that was born on July 10th that is starting to become a more well known actress thanks to her role as Dora The Explorer: Lost City of Gold
Isabella Moner, known professionally as Isabella Merced, was born in Cleveland Ohio in 2001.  
She changed her actress credited name to honor her late grandmother.
She is currently starring in the Netflix original Sweet Girl

I hope you enjoyed exploring how I do these posts.
Sometimes I find the celebrity first, but most of the time I find the card first and just run with the options available based on what I see.




Once I run with the pick, there's no turning back



I want to really provide a variety of different celebrities (ethnicity, size, age, etc) this month that I can match up to my card collection.  

Do you have any suggestions?

7 comments:

  1. Appreciate the peek behind the curtain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really interesting how you go about doing this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, seeing the same woman as "hot babe" AND as "Dora The Explorer" is a little weird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Instant family was a great film. I think the fan suggestion of women is always great

    ReplyDelete
  5. Instant family is a great movie and i always liked the reader girl suggestions

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Brett...Dora The Explorer and "hot babe" don't mix!

    ReplyDelete