Saturday, April 14, 2018

Basketball Diaries

My favorite sport to play and watch has always been baseball, but the sport that got me the most recognition with my friends was basketball.  I was pretty tall in 8th grade and that helped me make the team.  I wasn't very good with the rock, but like Dennis Rodman I could jump and grab those boards.

Some of my favorite players were Reggie Miller, Penny Hardaway, Alonzo Mourning, and of course Shaq.  I changed the teams I rooted for fairly regularly going from Bulls to Hornets to Pacers to Magic.

With the basketball playoffs in effect, who are you rooting for?  I'm pulling for OKC Thunder vs Pacers.  I'm tired of the Warriors vs Cavs matchup.

Today's card is 1972 Basketball Design found in 2013 Topps Archives.  The set is 20 cards deep and features players on the 1972 Topps Basketball Design, made famous by the Julius Erving (Dr. J) rookie card.

6 comments:

  1. Cool throwback. The Warriors have 4 of my 5 favorite active players so I'll be rooting for them, but I don't think they will win this year, too many injuries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had never seen those before. Looked them up and the only Tigers player is Prince Fielder...wonder why no Cabrera or Verlander. I wouldn't mind having the Stanton either. Good job .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was never very good at basketball, but I loved to play and watch it. I tried to make up for lack of talent with hustle, so I modeled my game after guys like Rodman and Horace Grant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved playing and watching basketball as a kid... but a lot of things have changed over the years. I don't think I'll be watching the NBA playoffs, but I'll be focusing on my San Jose Sharks on the ice. With that being said... if I had to pick a team to cheer for it'd be the Rockets. I'd love to see Harden win a title, so I can sell his rookie cards and make a tidy little profit.

    ReplyDelete