Saturday, August 26, 2017

The cheaper approach

Allen & Ginter is known for their minis, oddball inserts, and diverse  checklist.  To those that bust wax, they are also known for their rip cards.  Included in the rip cards could be special high number short prints, red ink autos, wood or metal minis.  I have unripped cards from last year, but I have started to grab the ripped (with caution) cards as a means to save a lot of money.  My collection has been downsizing a lot and I am only looking to add Cutch and Pittsburgh Hall of Famers going forward.

The double rip of Clemente and Cutch is going for an average of $300 on eBay unripped.  Some have sold for almost $500.  With only 15 copies produced and the allure of pulling an Aaron Judge red ink auto inside still high, trying to get one of these is extremely difficult especially if you don't want to pay a car payment equivalent for an unripped one.  

Lucky for me a ripped copy popped up with a best offer option.  I offered $20 and told the seller of my collection.  A few minutes later it was in my checkout and a day later it was in the mail being shipped.  

I am grateful that I was able to add this card to the collection.  I wonder though what was pulled from it???

I tried reaching out to the seller of the card but never got a response.  

3 comments:

  1. That's been a dream of mine to own or pull a rip card. Not sure if I would rip it or not. Maybe I would just stare at it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few unripped cards. The temptation is there, but the force is strong with me ObiWan

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! Sweet card. I don't blame you for taking the cheaper approach. $300 can buy you a lot of different Cutch's for your collection.

    ReplyDelete