Tuesday, October 27, 2020

You can dance if you want to...

Each year during the month of October, I show off only pink (and shades of pink like magenta, peach, etc) to help raise awareness of Breast Cancer, a leading cause of death for females in the United States.  For each (meaningful, non spam) comment left by those that follow the blog I donate a dollar to hopefully help at least one woman get a much needed mammogram (max $400).  Early detection is key!!!

If you want to make your own private donation please visit the National Breast Cancer Foundation.  There is a donate button on the main page and it only takes a minute of your time.  Every little bit helps.

I have focused primarily on cards that only feature Andrew McCutchen on the card, but in recent years have also featured cards with a cameo appearance (either being seen on the card or as a name cameo on the back of the card).  Last year I created Falco Files which discussed players that replaced (Shane Falco Replacements movie reference) on an active roster, number worn, or trade.  I will continue to utilize these styles of posts as we celebrate the 4th Collecting Cutch Save Second Base event (I am no longer counting my first run on the Pirates Treasure Room I did back in 2014.)

Today I want to take a look at


Kalani Hilliker

She became famous for her dancing as a teen (seen on left in the gif above)
She is currently a model and YouTuber
You may notice the H&M backdrop.  I don't know what H&M actually stands for, but on my blog that stands for (Josh) Harrison & (Andrew) McCutchen.

Both were pretty good dancers while teammates in Pittsburgh and shared many celebrations on Team USA too.
The pair of former Buccos brought a lot of fun and entertainment to the Steel City in their time together from 2011-2017.  They helped change the Pirates into a perennial contender for three years (2013-2015) when the Pirates had the 2nd most wins in baseball.  They were steering the ship.

This is a desperately needed card for my collection.
I have only seen one sold on eBay and one sold on COMC in four years.


Help me get this card.  
It is a pink 2016 Topps Update #US30 Pirates Mateys 

Each year I post 1 card I aim to add to the collection as part of my Save Second Base event.  I am 2 for 3 in acquiring the cards I post (still looking for the 2013 Topps Chrome Pink /5)
Both Harrison and McCutchen know how to be Safe at Second Base in style

I actually have doubles of another McCutchen/Harrison pink card (2015 Update #US15 "River City Rakers)
If I was to obtain the 2016 Topps Update #US30 Pirates Mateys pink card I would likely BUST out into a dance like this


2020 has been a strange year, maybe next year I can celebrate by unmasking this card as having been acquired.

Completing the pair of Harrison/McCutchen cards would be a lot of fun.
(Kalani on left)


15 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. Good choice!

    Harrison was always a guy who felt like he was going to end up on the Yanks. Alas, he never did (yet).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harrison's tenure with the Tigers was short lived because of injuries. In that time, it was fun to watch him play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure where you find these girls but havent heard of most of them.

    Hopefully you can get the card you need

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought we'd get a little Men Without Hats in this post, but I can live with the dance moves. Cutch creeping back to second is a crackup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too, I thought maybe she was connected to Men Without Hats in some way. She is way too young to have been in the video for "Safety Dance"

      Delete
  5. H&M is probably some clothing line or perfume as she is a model. I am not familiar with miss Kalani Hilliker. Being a YouTube "influencer" makes people "internet famous" but for the most part the rest of the world is "Who Dat"? Even upon their deaths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a chain of clothing stores. One of the largest in the world, actually. The name stands for "Hennes & Mauritz" which was the merger of two stores. There are a couple here in northern New Jersey, but mostly I know it from the ones on Orchard Road in Singapore.

      Delete
  6. I like the white tank top in the second pic. Very fashionable.

    I too thought of "Safety Dance" when I read the post title.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cardbarrel has the 2016 Topps Update US030. I don't know if it's pink though. It's only 16 cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its the base. I have a dozen of those or so. The pink is serially numbered to only 50 copies.

      Delete
  8. She's a looker. Love the Cutch gif at second base. Ties in to your theme too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowza! will have to look her up...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love when McCutchen dances in the dugout. It's always so happy and frivolous. I like this form of celebrating more so than bat flips and other antics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I expected to see the woman from the Safety dance video. I love that song, by the way.

    ReplyDelete