Thursday, October 15, 2020

Feeling Jaded?

First of all sorry for the late posts, I thought I had these all scheduled to roll on timer, but evidently not.

Today we will be looking at one of the best upcoming actresses.

Elizabeth Gillies
You may not recognize her name unless you have watched an episode of Victorious or Dynasty.



Elizabeth Gillies certainly stands out when she's on screen though.
She has recently married Michael Corcoran, a singer and producer for many of Nickelodeon's hit TV series and songs.



She is most well known as Jade West from the Nickelodeon series, Victorious.
The actress was born in New Jersey, a state that I have lived my entire life in and gets no respect elsewhere in the country.

Today's magenta card features another NJ native paired up on my uncirculated Andrew McCutchen printing plate.


Billy Rowell, the Orioles first round draft pick in 2006 was also born in New Jersey.


Unlike Elizabeth who went on to fame after her teen years, Billy never became as famous as many thought he would.  He has been out of professional baseball since 2011 when he turned 22 and repeated Rookie A ball for the 4th time in hopes of becoming the offensive player he was drafted to be.  A complete recap of his minor league career can be found here.  The two picks immediately after Rowell were Tim Lincecum and Max Scherzer.  They went on to amass 5 CY Youngs, 4 World Series Titles, 11 All Star Games, and 4520 strikeouts combined.  I bet the Orioles front office wish they had used the Rowell draft pick on pitching that year.  


What celebrities stand out to you as being born in NJ?

What is your team's most blundering draft pick on the next few picks turning out to be a future Hall of Famer? (Keep in mind almost everyone drafted before Trout got selected in 2009 and 12 rounds passed before Pujols got drafted so give me something else)

16 comments:

  1. In the 2013 draft the Tigers took a pitcher named Jonathan Crawford...about a dozen picks later the Yankees drafted a guy named Aaron Judge.

    I know Gillies from a Lifetime movie... something I watched while the Covid-19 pandemic was in high gear and I was given little choice but to watch countless hours of these shows...however, there are some pretty hot women on them as well.


    Good Job. 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Red Sox had the 7th overall pick in that draft and selected a kid named Trey Ball, who never made it to the majors. Cody Bellinger was also in that draft class with Judge.

      Delete
  2. I don't really have a team now, but I live in the Philly market and Mickey Moniak is probably a very bad number 1 draft pick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought she looked familiar. Good thing you mentioned Victorious, that woulda driven me nuts. Way to rep NJ. Kirsten Dunst is another Jersey girl that comes to mind.

    Rowell has been mentioned as one reason why some scouts were lukewarm on Mike Trout. They didn't want to get burned by another NJ product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know about women, but Sinatra, Springsteen, and Jon Bon Jovi is a quality musical trifecta.

    I don't follow the baseball draft. Though your example is interesting, because I've heard that hitting is more predictable than pitching.

    (Ironically, Tom Waits of "Jersey Girl" fame is from California.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of Elizabeth or Billy. I had to look it up... but I discovered Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister) was born in NJ. As for A's picks... I'll go with Addison Russell. He was the 11th overall pick in the 2012 draft. Corey Seager was the 18th pick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I've seen her in something but I can't place it.... [goes to do a little researching].. oh yeah, Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll.. the FX show with Dennis Leary. That was an ok show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in NJ but know very little about it. Not from here and never took the time to learn. Couldn’t tell you many others from here except Sinatra.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, when I think New Jersey celebs, I think music. Springsteen, Dionne Warwick, Whitney Houston, Paul Simon (grew up in NYC but was born in NJ--the opposite of me), Sinatra. Two favorite underrated hitmaking artists from our home state are PM Dawn and The Smithereens.

    Worst pick ever for my Mets is easy. In 1966 the Mets had the first pick. Everybody and his grandmother thought the best player available was an outfielder from Arizona State. Except the Mets, who got the bright idea that catching was more important, and drafted a high school catcher named Steve Chilcott. Chilcott became one of three first picks to never make the big leagues. The guy everyone else thought they should take, and who went second, was Reginald Martinez Jackson. Whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute.

    Dodgers had a bad draft run in the late '80s/early '90s, beginning with Bill Bene in 1988 at No. 5 overall. Three spots below him, Jim Abbott. Five spots below, Robin Ventura.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very easy for a Royals fan, the 2006 Draft. The Royals have their first (and so far only) number overall 1 pick and choose Luke Hochevar. He was a serviceable pitcher with an okay career but not quite the same as a few other later selections. Number 3: Evan Longoria, Number 7: Clayton Kershaw and Number 11: Max Scherzer.
    (The number 7 pick will always haunt me.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to look up people born in New Jersey. I didn't recall that Shaq was born in Newark.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's not really my style, but still a good pick. Jersey born celebs? Hmm, everyone on the Sopranos? Don't really know.

    ReplyDelete